Third Classes are located downstairs in the Aontas corridor (orange) rooms 6 and 8 and room 1 in the Dóchas corridor (blue). Class teachers for the current year are: Ms. Harding, Mr. O ‘Loughlin and Ms. Walshe
The following are useful points of information for the coming year with Third Class.
- 30-40 minutes is the recommended time for completion of homework in third class.
- We ask that homework is supervised by a parent/guardian each evening.
- Please sign the homework diary daily.
- Oral work should be checked daily – reading/poetry/spellings/tables/prayers etc.
- Parent Teacher meetings are usually held in November.
- Should any issues arise or you need to contact the teacher in the interim or afterwards please write a note in your child’s diary.
- When your child is absent due to illness etc please fill out an absence note in the back of your child’s diary to explain the absence.
- PE takes place every Wednesday morning in Third Class
- Please wear school tracksuit and suitable footwear on P.E. days.
- Children receive swimming lessons and may take part in lunchtime hurling leagues.
- Children may attend choir on Thursdays after lunch and they perform a number of times throughout the year.
- Children have the option of joining the band. Practice is on Tuesdays after lunch.
- Guided Reading – Differentiated Reading Groups- daily reading practice focussing on fluency and comprehension.
- Accelerated Reader – Children are given access to books tailored to their own reading level. Children receive a username and password and are encouraged to log in to their individual account to complete quizzes that test their comprehension of the book. Quizzes may be taken at home and in school.
- SRA -Third classes use the SRA Reading Laboratory in order to promote and improve comprehension skills.
- The following areas are an integral part of the 3rd class maths curriculum:
- Skip counting and tables: Please test your child daily on their skip counting/ tables homework as it leads to greater speed and success in mental and written tasks.
- New areas for third class:
- Multiplication and Division tables and activities
- Time: five minute intervals in analogue time (past and to), digital time,
We have pulled together some useful websites for students
View and Download Useful Websites Third Class