Second Classes are located in the Red corridor upstairs, Rooms 29, 30 and 31. Class teachers for the current year are: Mr Seán Flanagan, Mr Ken Hickey and Ms Roisin Mc Andrew The following are useful points of information for the coming year with Second Class.
- We ask that homework is supervised by a parent/guardian each night. Oral work should be checked nightly – reading/poetry/spellings/tables/prayers etc. Please sign diary and test copy.
- Should any issues arise or you need to contact the teacher in the interim or afterwards please write a note in your child’s diar or else send a message via seesaw family app
- When your child is absent due to illness etc please fill out an absence note in the back of your child’s diary to explain absence or else send a message via seesaw family app
- PE takes place on Tuesdays
- Active Schools: We undertake a 1k run challenge with all three classes each week.
- Please wear school tracksuit and suitable footwear on PE days.
- Second class children are assessed at the beginning of the school year and grouped according to their ability.
- Groups rotate between four stations during the guided reading sessions ie reading station, writing station, phonics station and library/listening station.
- The class teacher and learning support teacher work with each group.
- Parents are asked to listen to their child’s reading every evening and encourage independent reading as often as possible.
- Mathletics is a computer programme which supports the second class maths curriculum.
- Each child receives a password and login code at the beginning of the first term.
- If a child achieves one thousand points they earn a certificate.
- Children get the opportunity to use Mathletics during their Ipad time but it is imperative that they also use it at home in order to see the real benefits of the programme.